Let's go through the quick steps on how you can embroider your own patches.
Top Fabric (Sports Twill works great)
Aqua Magic (Water-soluble stabilizer that melts away when rinsed)
Embroidery Thread – Madeira or Isacord Polyester
- Hoop the Aqua Magic stabilizer.
- Stitch a line to show the placement of the patch material. You can pre-cut the material or cut it by hand after the tack down stitch has been stitched.
- Place the patch material being careful to align it with the placement stitch.
- Stitch the tack down stitch that will hold the patch material in place. It works best to use a zig-zag stitch. If you choose to cut it by hand, use a running stitch to define the edge and cut the excess material away as close to the stitched line as possible.
- Run the patch design. The main decorative stitches should be run before the online.
- Stitch the satin-stitch border. For underlay, it works best to use edge-walk underlay and double zig-zag to give the border extra body.
- Remove the patch from the hoop and remove excess stabilizer by rinsing it or applying water to the outside edge of the border satin stitch.